Saturday, January 05, 2008

Swift Reads 2

It seems that I can never do enough for the blogosphere. Like a hungry child, it just wants more and more. But if I can feed it and stop its incessant yammering while doing as little writing of my own as possible, I am happy to oblige. So while I diligently study the New Hampshire Primary tea leaves in order to bring you the kind of insight and analysis this blog is renowned for, let me present you with the second edition of "Swift Reads" to tide you over until I am ready to release my findings to the public.

My end-of-the-year post proved to be quite an inspiration to some bloggers, such as the Bilerico Project and third-tier stock market blogger Dinosaur Trader, who asked their friends to submit links to their best posts of the year. The more, the merrier, I say.

The Progressive Carnival is inviting bloggers to submit five posts to be posted on five different blogs. This five-course dinner begins with hors d'oeuvres & cocktails and ends with desert, but unfortunately due to a lack of foresight on the part of the hosts, no facilities have been provided for binge-and-purgers, who will have to find a vomitorium elsewhere on the Internet, which shouldn't be too difficult.

The Group News Blog has assembled a remarkable collection of Steve Gilliard's best writing, reminding us why we miss him so much despite his misguided politics.

Mole333 at Culture Kitchen informs us that scientists have made a remarkable discovery that may have important ramifications for the nation's fraternities: drinking to excess makes fruit flies gay.

Walter Isaac at JVoices introduces us to some people who believe that the trouble with illegal immigrants is that they have all of their limbs.

Chris Achorn of My Two Sense is not a big fan of Glenn Bleck, but he thinks "no one should have to suffer through what Glenn Beck has apparently suffered through for the past few days." I think this is the kind of reaching across the political divide that Barack Obama is talking about.

Speaking of Obama, Archpundit has come to the conclusion that he was wrong and Obama was right.

Vince Leibowitz at Capitol Annex reports that Dennis Kucinich is being kept off the Texas ballot because he refuses to sign a loyalty oath.

Kevin Hayden of American Street has compiled a list of the Top 100 Liberal and Reasonable Conservative Blogs. Take a look at who comes in at Number 98.

Russell Seitz at Adamant has put together a timeline of the entire history of mankind from the moment of creation 6,000 years ago to five years from now. Quite an undertaking.

g4rg4ntu4 at the cryptically and somewhat annoyingly named blog Th3 1nscr1pt10n s3t up0n th3 gr34t g4t3 0f Th3l3m3 has a video of the scariest, saddest song you will ever hear.

Of course, I don't approve of any bombs that are not being dropped on our enemies and those civilians who are unlucky enough to get in the way, so I pass along this Googlebomb without any endorsement whatsoever on my part.

And finally, here are some of the blogs I added to my blogroll recently: Abandoned Stuff by Saskboy, Adamant, Ali Gator, Barking Rabbits, Cinema Styles, distributorcap NY, Flatland Almanack, Further Recipience, House of the Setting Suns, Idle Musings, Jane Futzinfarb, Life Abundantly, My Apologies, Pixelisation, Precious Cargo, Prepare Yourselves for a Settlement, The Synchronicity of Fish, Unruly Duckling, Unsane and Safe, Veritosity, Watergate Summer, Wendelicious, Wills Perspective, The Woodshed, ywut. Getting on my blogroll is even easier than getting an Op-Ed column in the New York Times. Check out my extremely reasonable Blogrolling Policy in the sidebar to see how you can join this esteemed though not terribly exclusive club.

22 comments:

Thomas Kalinowski said...

Mr. Swift, my thanks for the link. You remain an island of reasonableness in a sea of not-so-reasonableness.

Anonymous said...

I say Mr. Swift.

Many thanks for your link, and I do apologize (sic) for the annoying name.

I was sure I had dictated it clearly and correctly to the boy at the Electric Telegraph Company, but it turns out he suffered from color (sic) blindness, as a consequence of which he mis-identified a number of keys on his teletypewriter, specifically replacing the vowels with numbers, and now I am left with a site the wretched name of which has rendered me guilty by association with the most boorish of elite hackers.

I shall endeavor to remedy the situation post-haste.

May you live all of the days of your life,

J.K.

Dinosaur Trader said...

Blogistan is indeed a fascinating place.

I steal your ideas and I get link-love.

Alas, I run a third-tier blog. Any "bump" I get in my numbers will be short lived... kind of like, winning the Wyoming caucus I guess.

Thank you however for a moment in the sun.

-DT

Anonymous said...

This is an amazing blog. The only thing funnier than your posts is the people who take you at face value. Particularly funny were the comments on your post about Stephen Colbert informing you that Colbert, is, in fact, a liberal satirist making fun of "people like YOU!" There are so many levels of irony there that my head is spinning. Best wishes.

enigma4ever said...

well, thanks that was really nice..I included you on my Round Up this week- because you worked so hard on that End of the Year Round Up- and I wanted people to see your great work....keep it up...wonderful

thanks again...

Distributorcap said...

well thank you......despite the liberal blog roll policies, being added by a charming, well-written and influential person as yourself is always a pleasure. maybe i can get some tips on how to accomplish something.

signed,
Condoleezzaa

8-)

ps -- (you are damn funny!)
dc

Anonymous said...

I find your benevolent inclusiveness quite enlightening to peruse, but also somewhat suspicious. I fear you have not been listening to enough Fox News, lately, for your own good, sir.

Dinosaur Trader said...

Meanwhile, I just want to point out that "thanking" those who link your blog is very "third-tier" of all of us on this thread.

-DT

Connecticut Man1 said...

A belated "Happy New Year!" to you and your readers, Jon Swift. This year we can all do better than we have been doing. And if we keep building on what we already have our numbers (and the fact that we deal in reality) will easily overcome the right wing echo chamber's lies and propaganda.

Start the new year off kicking Blogtopia (y!sctp) up a notch by Celebrating Blogroll Amnesty Day! BAM!

Saskboy said...

Thank you for the link Mr. Swift.

I hope you and your readers click on Abandoned Stuff often, to stay up to date with trivial (and some pertinent) news/jokes/whatever from the most rectangular political body on the continent.

From my unique perspective located in the middle of nowhere, I can easily see everywhere there is something.

WomanHonorThyself said...

succint and brilliant as always Jon~!

Anonymous said...

I loved The Inscription's Jeffrey Lewis video, made me surf YouTube for more of his brilliance. And the blog itself comes up with a lot of interesting stuff like that. Third tier? Only if he/she decides to be.

So now I hafta check out all these others. Jiminy. The things we have to do to keep Mr. Swift happy to avoid being eaten.

I wish you'd develop less taste for finery and more for sleazy pron.

JasonC said...

you know, for a supposed conservative your blogroll policy is surprisingly liberal. you might need to think about tightening the borders, lest the undocumented durty hippeez run amok.

-JC

blacktygrrrr said...

Jon,

I did not have your email addy, so forgive the off topic comment.

My blogroll has expanded, my blog has grown, and I have gotten so busy lately that I barely have time to read many of the blogs on my own blogroll on a regular basis, much less comment on them.

A precious few have taken this personally, and I thought I would take one night to just say hello to every blog on my blogroll.

I wish you a successful 2008, and happiness always.

eric aka the Tygrrrr Express

James Higham said...

Now Jon, your "readers' blogposts" thing was brilliant and I duly reported your Iowa roundup but you need to write one or two more posts so I can refer to them and therefore qualify for the next Swiftreads.

liquiddaddy said...

Folks,

My 2008 predictions are out after staring into the molten pot of liquid mercury (from China).

I hate to brag, but I was way ahead of the curve on the anal bleaching thing.

LD

durano lawayan a.k.a. brad spit said...

The "Swift Reads" post is a great way to blog without writing anything. It is also an eloquent way of saying something by uttering nothing. However,it remains entertaining and a damn good idea! Just look at the comments you get. --Durano, done!

Kathy said...

Liberal Fascism in now OFFICIALLY out! Please, Jon, write a review for Amazon, so I can know whether to read it or not. Thanks!

Johnny Pez said...

This seems like an appropriate place to note my belated follow-up to your Cylon post. It concerns an obscure TV series that Ronald D. Moore worked on before Battlestar Galactica.

Kilroy_60 said...

Jon,

Your mention of my progressive dinner is appreciated. Pleased to have you joining in.

I've linked back to you here.

Added you to my blogroll as well...will shoot you over an email on that. I admire your willingness to assist we blogospherians {a Kilroy_60 original} who are not as well known.

Anonymous said...

Domicile address all kinds of gestations and abundance can buy these Pandora Bracelets uk sets. It is dim pandora agreeableness bracelets witted to accouter to whatsoever from your dears. You just alone accident to apperceive the appeal and crapulence of the choosy lineaments to accouter the advance chaplet charms to them.

may ep mia said...

Hello! i am mr Thomas
happened to pass by your blogs, i find that your blogs are worth reading. I have to learn from you. i am a 6 month old blogger.

here is my blog: http://amaytinhbanggiare.blogspot.com/

http://banmayepmia.blogspot.com/

The 2008 Weblog Awards

Google